Marine and Cargo Insurance
The commercial shipping industry, which transports more than 90 % of the world’s cargo, is complex, volatile and constantly evolving. Aon’s Marine insurance broking and risk management expertise is unique in the industry, providing both the heritage that comes from long-term commitment to the commercial marine sector and the skills that come from a diverse client list.
Our worldwide marine insurance presence is integrated with the Aon commercial insurance network, giving us the capability to carry out risk assessments on all aspects of your maritime organization. Aon’s experts can assess risk, from the ships themselves, the cargo to be carried in the ships, the cranes, equipment and crew that load them, to the computer networks that manage the inventories.
Our risk and liability professionals have the experience and knowledge to deliver a wide range of innovative marine insurance products and services for both standard and unusual marine risks.
We have skills in all aspects of the marine industry and its marine insurance markets globally, with a specialist focus on mega-yachts, hull and machinery, ports, terminals and logistics companies, cargo and dockside vehicles, protection & indemnity and other marine insurance risks, shipyards and claims management policies.
The Aon commercial marine insurance division enables you to manage risk more effectively and economically, providing coverage that is based not on what the markets can do, but on your specific marine insurance needs.
Wherever cargo is transported, a wide variety of risks are present throughout the transport chain for the owner of the cargo (e.g. the manufacturer, trader or purchaser), ranging from loss and damage resulting from an accident, an act of God, inappropriate handling, theft and robbery and, in the case of marine transport, general average. Insurance cover against political and social risks is also becoming more important.
In a complex international environment for transport and logistics and its many interfaces, it is vital to have experts alongside you who are extremely familiar with the environment and can offer you tailor-made solutions for marine insurance and logistics risk management.
The only way to be sure of rapid and full compensation in the event of a loss event is to conclude a marine policy that is tailored to your individual needs. The liability of the various cargo service providers – such as freight forwarders and freight carriers – is, as a rule, very limited and may, in some cases, one being an act of God, be wholly absent. It is also often the case that loss or damage sustained cannot be attributed to the person who actually caused it in the transport chain.
Our services include in particular:
- In-depth analysis of existing insurance concepts (incl. premiums and scope of cover, programme structure).
- Drafting of an individual insurance solution with an optimal price/performance ratio using Aon’s market knowledge and purchasing power.
- Developing international insurance programmes while taking into account local circumstances and tax and regulatory requirements both within the Middle East and abroad.
- Worldwide access to Aon’s marine insurance know-how.
- Pro-active and client-focused claims processing by Aon professionals with substantial authority to settle.
- Using the information gained from claims processing to complete analyses and evaluations of claims data as a basis for risk management measures.
- Conducting client-specific training courses on subjects such as marine insurance, marine risk management, international commercial terms, claims processing, etc.