Aon Benfield Research
Academic & Industry Collaboration
Aon Benfield Research brings together our relationships under one banner to deliver a wealth of relevant academic research material and to help insurers and reinsurers enhance their understanding and management of risks. We combine world-class research with Aon Benfield’s industry-leading catastrophe modeling, actuarial analysis and broking expertise to create a more risk aware world.
Through our investment and coordination, our goal is to enable insurers and reinsurers, their clients, governments and non-governmental organizations (NGOs) to protect and grow their organizations in the face of natural hazards and socio-economic risks.
Aon Benfield was the first company in the (re)insurance industry to support and invest in academic research, recognizing how academia can work hand in hand with business to improve risk awareness and understanding. Since 1996 we have built strong links with leading institutions and organizations:
- Ambiental - Ambiental is a leading flood risk assessment, surface water drainage and risk modelling consultancy that operates internationally and produces high detail flood risk data, flood hazard maps, perils risk data, flood modelling software and reports for insurance companies, the land and property sector, engineers, utilities and city council planning departments.
- Beijing Normal University: Academy of Disaster Reduction and Emergency Management - The Academy strives to be a national research base and talent center for disasters reduction, risk governance and emergency management in China.
- BMT WBM - Australian based engineering company providing among others TUFLOW products as a suite of advanced numerical engines and supporting tools for simulating free-surface water flow for urban waterways, rivers, floodplains, estuaries and coastlines. The TUFLOW engines are technically superior and are industry leaders in solving all the necessary physical processes using 1D, 2D and 3D solutions.
- ClimateWise - A global collaboration of leading insurers, facilitated by the University of Cambridge Programme for Sustainability Leadership, focused on reducing the risks of climate change.
- Defence Academy of the UK - UK Ministry of Defence’s academy research body run by the University of Cranfield and King’s College London with focus mainly on military/security scientific development, among others the Computational Fluid Dynamics technology for blast modelling.
- Deltares - An independent, institute for applied research in the field of water, subsurface and infrastructure. Throughout the world, we work on smart solutions, innovations and applications for people, environment and society.
- EuroTempest - Transforms weather forecasts and observations into the specific information required to make successful live risk management decisions.
- GFZ Potsdam - National research center for Earth Sciences in Germany, investigating global geological, physical, chemical and biological processes which occur at the earth‘s surface and in its interior.
- HR Wallingford - World-leading analysis, advice and support in engineering and environmental hydraulics, and in the management of water and the water environment.
- The International Seismological Centre (ISC) - The ISC was set up in 1964 with the assistance of UNESCO as a successor to the International Seismological Summary (ISS) to follow up the pioneering work of Prof. John Milne and Sir Harold Jeffreys in collecting, archiving and processing seismic station and network bulletins and preparing and distributing the definitive summary of world seismicity.
- Kyoto University - Division of Wind Resistant Structures - Wind-related disaster mitigation caused by tropical cyclones, tornadoes and other wind-borne phenomena.
- Lighthill Risk Network - A not-for-profit organization, which brings together scientific research worldwide, industry (initially Insurance), government and third party organizations in exchanging risk-related expertise.
- North-West University - Recognised as one of the best-managed and most innovative universities in South Africa.
- NTU Singapore - Institute of Catastrophe Risk Management - first multi-disciplinary catastrophe risk management research institute of its kind in Asia.
- Oscilmet - Oscilmet is an innovative, Australian-based IT company, specialising in the collation, analysis and interpretation of weather data. The company’s range of expertise includes predicting the probable impact boundaries of severe weather events and presenting this information real-time, in user-friendly formats.
- Risk Frontiers - World leader in quantitative natural hazards risk assessment and risk management supported by the Australian insurance community.
- Shanghai Typhoon Institute - Part of the China Meteorological Administration, its mission is to undertake basic and applied research related to tropical cyclones and is a base for training high-level professional personnel specialized in tropical cyclone science.
- Spurr Consulting - Leading global consultancy on earthquakes.
- Technische Universität München - Department of Mathematical Statistics - It is committed to excellence in research and teaching, interdisciplinary education and the active promotion of promising young scientists. The university also forges strong links with companies and scientific institutions across the world. TUM was one of the first universities in Germany to be named a University of Excellence. Moreover, TUM regularly ranks among the best European universities in international rankings.
- Tropical Storm Risk - Unrivalled accuracy in real time mapping and prediction of tropical cyclones worldwide.
- UCL Hazard Centre, University College London - Europe's leading multidisciplinary academic hazard research center, comprising geological hazards, meteorological hazards & seasonal forecasting, and disaster studies and management
- Universität Münster - Institute for Geoinformatics - Geoinformatics is the science of modelling spatio-temporal processes computationally. The Institute of Geoinformatics in Münster focuses on modelling spatio-temporal processes, semantic interoperability, spatial assistance systems, cognitive engineering and sensor networks.
- University of Cologne - Leading research center with a long record of wind storms diagnostics, extreme weather modeling and impact assessment.
- University of Notre Dame - The Computational Hydraulics Laboratory (CHL) at the University of Notre Dame is focused on developing cutting edge technologies to simulate wave and circulation environments in the coastal ocean and adjacent coastal floodplain.
- University of Pretoria's Centre for Natural Hazards in Africa - One of the leading research universities in South Africa, it serves as a harbor of information for the engineering, disaster management and insurance industries
- Weidlinger Associates Ltd. - Leading structural engineering and applied mechanics consultant, focus on design and rehabilitation of buildings, bridges, and infrastructure and development of advanced analysis software. Special services in vulnerability assessment; risk analysis; forensic, earthquake, wind, and blast engineering; soil/structure interaction; and sustainability.