Actuarial Consulting Pensions: Internship and Industrial Placement Programme
Join Aon as an actuarial consulting pensions intern or industrial placement, and discover how our global team of specialists help businesses make smart choices about their employees’ pensions — now, and into the future.
Right now, UK companies have more invested in pension schemes than the rest of Europe combined. But, has each individual company set aside enough to meet their pensions’ obligations in twenty, thirty or even forty years’ time?
As the market leader in actuarial consulting, at Aon we’re here to advise our clients on their defined pension schemes, helping them to manage the associated financial and operational risks. As an Aon intern, you’ll work alongside the best and brightest in the industry — what better way to launch your career?
Summer Internship Locations
Bristol, Birmingham, Farnborough, Epsom, Glasgow, Leeds, London, Manchester, St Albans
12 Month Industrial Placement Locations
Birmingham, Farnborough, Epsom, Glasgow, Leeds, London, Manchester, St Albans
- Summer internships are open to graduates, or students in any year of their undergraduate degree
- Industrial placements are open to students who have this opportunity as part of their undergraduate degree
- To apply, you’ll need to be educated to degree level with a minimum predicted grade of at least a 2:1 or equivalent qualification in a numerate/semi-numerate discipline and a B or above in Maths A-level, or equivalent
- Strong commercial awareness, lots of ambition and an enthusiastic approach are important, too
As a summer intern or industrial placement student, you’ll find that no two days in the office are the same. You’ll work on a range of client teams with colleagues who advise either the trustees managing the pension scheme, or the company that provides it.
Our aim is for you to learn about the potential career path ahead of you, while being given real responsibility on client projects. We'll work with you through classroom-based and on-the-job training to develop your technical and consulting skills — including your understanding of key calculations, communication techniques, project management and networking.
You’ll get involved in
- Regular assessment of the financial position of pension schemes
- Identifying and implementing ways for trustees and companies to reduce the risks in relation to their schemes, including longevity risks, investment risks and inflation risk
- Making calculations relating to the pension scheme for the company's financial accounts
- Making calculations in respect of individual pension scheme members' benefits
- Day-to-day management of the pension scheme
- Estimating pension protection fund levies
- Manage corporate transactions — ie, when a merger or acquisition of companies takes place, the liabilities of the companies' pension schemes need to be taken into account in the deal
- The final close-down of the schemes when risk is passed to a third party
You’ll be given opportunities to work on a range of projects, gaining early exposure to clients to support your development. You’ll also have the chance to be involved in one of our world-class specialist teams.
- Stream 1:
Actuarial Consulting – General Insurance
- Stream 2:
Actuarial Consulting – Pensions
- Stream 3:
- Stream 4:
Insurance, Reinsurance and Risk Management
- Stream 5:
Insurance Strategy Consultants