International Student Insurance in Finland

International Student Insurance in Finland


Studying abroad means you will need to arrange certain practical matters before you can take off. This includes housing, arranging a visa and last but not least finding an insurance which will give you peace of mind by covering your health, travels and belongings.

In some cases, like in Finland, not only is it wise to have an insurance, it is required. Foreign students from outside the EU / EEA must have private insurance for the duration of their visa before they enter Finland. If you stay for less than two years, you are required to have insurance that covers medical expenses minimum EUR 100,000. If your stay is two years or longer, medical expense requirement is EUR 30.000. The deductible for the insurance shall not exceed EUR 300. The immigration services are able to help to understand what the minimum requirements are.

How to Choose International Student Insurance? Download our Guide.


Studying abroad also means you will be faced with a new culture including different customs and habits. This applies to insurances too. Our Aon Student Insurance is comprehensive, has worldwide coverage, and is affordably priced. Choosing Aon Student Insurance equals choosing for high quality and service in addition to satisfying visa requirements.

Aon Student Insurance provides you with unrivaled international health and personal insurance abroad. For students needing insurance in order to apply for a (Schengen) visa, Aon’s Student Insurance is accepted in many countries, including Finland. After years of listening to universities and students, we have learned what is considered important in an insurance plan for international students.

Aon Student Insurance programs come in two packages to cater your specific needs:


ICS Complete -package gives you all the insurance you need during your stay in Finland for your health and belongings. You need ICS Complete if you do not have your own health insurance. ICS Complete -package includes:

  • Medical expenses
  • Repatriation, extra costs, 24/7 emergency assistance helpline
  • Liability
  • Home contents and baggage
  • Permanent disablement or death caused by an accident
  • Legal aid

ICS Start -package does not cover medical or dental expenses, but covers your travel and stay in Finland. You need ICS Start when you already have your own international health insurance. ICS Start -package includes:

  • Repatriation, extra costs, 24/7 emergency assistance helpline
  • Liability
  • Home contents and baggage
  • Permanent disablement or death caused by an accident
  • Legal aid

For a full description of cover please refer to the Policy Conditions.

Description of insurance cover

Who is it for? 

Student health insurance Finland

Any one who is enrolled in a recognized study programme or internship outside their homeland is eligible to apply for Aon Student Insurance.

Also teachers or professors who, on a temporary basis, teach at or is affiliated as a researcher with a recognised educational facility outside his homeland is eligible.

Partners and children travelling together and living with persons listed above can also apply for a cover. A separate insurance policy must be taken out for each individual.

Apply online

If you are looking for an insurance, you can find more information from Once you have found the right cover for you, you can apply for the insurance online. Calculating your premium is easy as you only pay for total of insured days.

For any additional questions, please visit the FAQ section on the website or email your questions to [email protected] or Minna Toikka minna.toikka[at]


If you need to make a claim, you can do so via email or by traditional mail.

Aon’s acclaimed claims handlers process your claim within five working days. This could take slightly longer during busy periods. The money is deposited into your bank account within ten working days after processing your claim. The claims handling is done by Aon in the Netherlands.

For further useful information regarding living and studying in Finland, please visit:

Finnish Immigration Service
Study in Finland
Visa application 

*If the text above deviates from what is set down in further advice or in the policy terms and conditions, then  the most recent text or policy terms and conditions, respectively, prevails. Please visit for latest updates.

international Student insurance Finland

More Information