Aon Pride Alliance supports LGBT+ employees and their allies
Our aim is to:
- Provide support for all employees who are LGBT, are friends, relatives or colleagues of LGBT people, or any other employees with questions about sexual orientation or gender identity issues
- Foster an atmosphere of inclusiveness and mutual respect by raising awareness and understanding of LGBT issues
- Advise on policy development
- Provide social and business networking opportunities for members
- Improve recruitment, retention and career success for LGBT employees
- Enhance Aon's image as a pro-LGBT employer and business
- Provide an LGBT insight for the business, including helping in the development of products and services for the LGBT community
The group is open to all Aon colleagues and is made up of both those who identify as LGBT as well as LGBT allies. The group is run by volunteers and members can commit as much or as little time as they can spare.
Aon work closely with the sports industry to drive LGBT equality in sport. We’re also sponsors of Team Pride, Stonewall’s LGBT in sport initiative. We’re proud to be a part of a team that holds enormous ability to influence and inspire the sports industry.
Aon colleagues participate in Pride Parades across the country
2019 saw the 50th anniversary of the Stonewall Riots which have become recognised as a key turning point in LGBT+ equality, where communities – both LGBT+ and allies of LGBT+ people started to protest against discrimination laws and bigotry. Since then, Pride Parades have long been held in many cities globally. These not only celebrate the rich diversity of our LGBT+ community, but they also serve as a reminder of the Stonewall Riots and all that has been achieved since then to reduce stigma, discrimination and prejudice against those who are LGBT+.
During July and August 2019, colleagues from many Aon offices across the UK and globally participated in Pride Parades. This year events were attended by LGBT+ colleagues and a large cohort of allies. Watch this short video of footage captured by our colleagues at their local Pride Parades and reflections on their experience:
Aon is firmly committed to inclusion both within our communities and within the workplace – find out more about opportunities to join us here
Protecting the human rights of a transgender woman
We're committed to inclusion and the protection of human rights, including the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBTQ) community. Our legal department offers global pro bono counsel to ensure the access of justice for immigrants, refugees and asylum seekers.
Watch an Aon social impact video to learn about Leyla, born and raised as a man in Chechnya. Leyla began to live as a transgender woman when she left for college. However, Chechnya is a dangerous place for LGBTQ people.
We believe at Aon that everyone should be able to bring their whole selves to work. To support International Day Against Homophobia, Transphobia and Biphobia, (IDAHOBIT2018) we asked some of our colleagues about the importance of allies in the workplace. Take a look here: