Our culture, leadership and commitment to ESG priorities enable us to make better decisions as we support communities and nonprofits through direct giving, collaboration and employee programs.
Our philanthropic efforts are both ongoing and focused on need. In times of crisis, Aon mobilizes its resources to solve problems and provide aid. To help combat the pandemic, we recognized that we had a leading role to play in successful, widespread global vaccine distribution. In 2021, we convened players from across the supply chain to develop a supply-chain protection solution for the vaccines necessary to fight the pandemic globally.
“Aon has been building client solutions using sensor technology in supply chain for years,” said Lee Meyrick, chief executive officer, Global Marine, Commercial Risk Solutions. “Knowing global distribution of COVID-19 vaccines would need to overcome myriad obstacles, we built a new solution to provide financial protection to the companies distributing the vaccine. Working with leaders in the industry, we quickly recruited a group of like-minded insurers willing to underwrite the risks using verifiable and effective sensor technologies. The solution, the speed and the partners came together to save lives.”
By working to provide transparent cargo insurance coverage with technology — including sensors and data and analytics — we helped with risk transfer regarding the transport or storage of doses by mitigating losses, opening capacity, and maximizing the number of doses available to the public.
To add to our impact, we donated all of the 2021 revenues earned from that solution to the COVID-19 Solidarity Response Fund, powered by the WHO Foundation and the United Nations Foundation in support of the World Health Organization (WHO).
In addition to our pandemic efforts, we have continued our work in support of the communities in which we live and work, including:
- Eight charitable foundations and two donor-advised funds directly benefit from Aon giving.
- Aon contributed over $11.5 million in 2021 to philanthropic causes.
- More than 1000 organizations received philanthropic support from Aon in 2021.
- Through our work with nonprofits at international and regional levels, Aon has contributed to the Red Cross, United Way and other local organizations in the communities where we live and work across the globe.
- Full-time employees can participate in civic engagement through community-based volunteering, and in the U.S., the organization encourages colleague charitable giving by matching individual contributions up to $1,000 for any 501(c)(3) nonprofit.
In 2022, leaders within the organization quickly established a colleague support fund for employees in Ukraine, providing crucial support and resources during the war with Russia.